Monday, March 23, 2015

Self Portraits

I am teaching a futuristic self portrait project in a 2nd grade classroom this week. I decided to to keep this project relatively simple as it can be modified easily. I went ahead and created an oval face template so that kids could trace for consistency. I made up a packet of facial features that groups can share to generate more ideas for eyes, nose, mouths, etc.
The students will draw on white 9x12 construction paper then draw over their pencil using black sharpie. Once done, students will color in their drawing with crayon EXCEPT for the face/neck/ear skin. I will emphasize good craftsmanship with crayon application- OH, and remember to color whites of the eyes and teeth!
Then with a watered down brown tempera, kids will apply paint over their crayon for a wax resist skin tone finish.
After the portrait dries they can cut out their port at and glue it in a pice of contrasting colored paper to make it "Pop"!


No comments:

Post a Comment